Thursday, September 01, 2005

Good day, sunshine . . .

This is just a good day and I felt like writing about it. The house is sunny and breezy today. It's a great day to not have to work but to stay around the house instead. I just finished a good book, "The Good Earth," by Pearl Buck. Now I have three new library books to read. WONDERFUL! I've been thinking about starting/hosting a book club, er group, er whatever you call that. I have just been loving reading lately (lately? . . . I mean always) and want to read and talk about books with people more often. How does one go about that? Hmmm. Also, the bigger kid is at school having the time of his life and the smaller kid is snoozing away in his comfy, breezy room. I have cream puffs in the oven (mom's recipe) to share with the neighbors tonight. I'm telling you, it's a stinkin' great day for me. By the way . . .for those of you who read this blog, would everyone mind sharing what books they are currently reading? (If it's something you'd even recommend.) I'm coming near to the end of my summer reading list and would love some ideas for my fall reading list. So let's hear it . . .whatcha' been readin'??

6 Comments:

Blogger shawanda said...

I just finished reading "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and still need time to process. I think I liked it but I am not sure if I liked it enough to suggest it to someone else. I'll have to get back to you on that.

As far as starting a book club, I think it's a great idea. I love the one John and I started with a few of our friends. Great conversations we've had as of late. I say, if you want to start one, just spread the word to people that you know enjoy reading as well. Or even do an open invitation. See what happens. Keep us posted.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jonathan has been reading "The Scramble for Africa". Great book that he highly recommends to anyone. Its a history but reads easily. I am somewhere between two books, "An Arrow to Heaven" the biography on Rich Mullins, and "Searching for God Knows What". Sometime ago we read "A Passage to Africa" which is by a BBC journalist with good experience on the continent and "King Leopold's Ghost" which is a hist of Belgium in the Congo. Reads like a novel/ murder thriller. Very enjoyable.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Try Colson Whitehead's The Intuitionist if you're looking for a good book club selection. Twisted but curious.

Or The Last King of Scotland by Giles Foden (great name, eh?) or King Leopold's Ghost if you want something African.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I love reading, but I don't believe my genre of choice meshes with your tastes.

I've just finished "Something From the NightSide" by Simon Green. I do not suggest it. It was a recent random selection from B&N and while it contained some very interesting characters, the plot pretty much stinks.

I'm suggesting everyone read the Chronicles of Narnia in anticipation of the cinematic release of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe."

7:08 PM  
Blogger amazing grace said...

hey steph...I loved "The Good Earth!" i read that last year. right now i am reading "The Diary of Anne Frank" and a book by Amy Tan....

9:31 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

I just finished the Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum and am half way through the Bourne Supremacy, but you know that becasue you see me lugging them around all the time because I'm such a slow reader.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home