Tuesday, September 18, 2007

All you need is books . . .

Around this time of year here in the midwest some domestic-type women go through the whole process of moving the summer clothes out of the closets and moving in the sweaters and winter clothes. (I had a friend when I was young whose mom kept their sweaters in the deep freeze during the summer . . . weird) Anyways, I've sort of got that going on with my books. I've begun the process of moving all the stacks of books that lay on the floor next to my bed, or on the sofa table in the living room, or wherever else they may be stacked about the house. You see they are the summer books that have been read, and are now ready to be stored for the winter . . . or until I see fit to get them out again. And I have about 25 or 30 "winter" books to put in their place. It's all garage sale-ing, people. I get a whole autumn/winter's worth of books by hitting those rummage sales. And our little town of Mahomet here, just had community wide sales last weekend, and as it turns out we got a raging community of book clubs around here . . . and what do women do when they get done with their book club books . . . sell them for CHEAP at their rummage sales. But before I put the summer books away, I thought I'd give a little summary of what I thought of a few of the books I've read. Here goes.

1. "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett; A terrorist organization takes a ballroom of dignitaries-political figures and businessmen- hostage at the home of the country's vice president. We are never told what country, just somewhere in South America. I like this book a lot. I love political fiction so this was good. Lots of people, speaking different languages, trapped together for weeks in the lavish home of the vice president by these terrorists who really have no good plan for what to do with their hostages. Weird friendships are formed. I liked it.

2. "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards; This book was pretty tragic. The characters make terrible decisions that live with them forever, pretty much destroying their families and their lives. It involves a baby born with Down's Syndrome during a time - the 60's- when not much hope was given to children with Down's . . . when it was thought such children should be institutionalized. I'm not sure I would say I liked it as a story . . .pretty tragic, often made me feel angry.

3. "Stolen Lives" by Malika Oufkir; This is the true account of Malika and her brothers', sisters', and mother's 20-year imprisonment in a horrific Moroccan prison. Malika's father was an advisor to the king of Morocco, and was killed after hoisting a failed coup against the king. Then his children and wife were imprisoned, and basically tortured for the next 20 years until they were able to escape and gain their freedom through pretty amazing circumstances. As heartbreaking as it was, I really liked this book. It was amazing what this family went through . . . and lived. They couldn't even kill themselves while in prison, though they did try to put themselves out of their misery.

4. "Vinegar Hill" by A. Manette Ansay; Blah. Though well-written, this book was the most depressing story of a woman so unhappy and trapped in her marriage . . . which included her living in her mean, German, in-laws' home. I hate stories of unhappy housewives. Ick. So that was that. Josh couldn't understand why I read to the end. It would have to be depressing and poorly written for me to give up in the middle of the book.

5. "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S. Lewis; So, okay I've read this before, maybe when I was 10 or 11. But Aidan and I read this book together and it was the best thing ever. I love the Chronicles of Narnia so much, so what else can I say. It delighted Aidan more than anything . . . I think it was partly the story itself and partly he and I sitting in the dim living room at bedtime reading with anticipation.

6. "Destiny Junction" by Michael Phillips; This was a piece of Christian fiction, which can often be quite "if-y." Some Christian fiction is incredibly well written, say Francine Rivers, loved everything I've read by her. But some turns out, well sad to say, cheesy. This I felt, fell in that "cheese" category. Yet I feel guilty, because it did proclaim the gospel over and over in a fictional, lots-of-drama sort of way. People in this town, Destiny Junction, were having affairs in their marriage, cheating at their jobs, plotting to kill kids at the local high school, gambling . . . and then they all feel lead to go to church on the same Sunday . . . they all repent and get saved, all in the same week . .. I mean the whole town. Touching, but odd as well.

Books I have not been able to finish . . .

1. "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf; This book has been on my bedside table for months. I just can't seem to get through it. It's gotten harder to read Virginia Woolf. I think it's because I drive a minivan, but I'm not sure.

2. "White Widow" by Jim Lehrer; Okay, yes this is the same Jim as in Jim Lehrer on the news on public television. It's a romance, I think, and a little "hoaky." Had to give it a chance though . . . I mean Jim Lehrer . .. the novelist.

Currently Reading . . .
"Inside My Heart" by Robin McGraw; Yes, this is Dr. Phil's wife. Please don't look at me like that. It is quite good. I'm only a few chapters in , she is a sweet, wise woman, who has found lots of happiness in life. Why wouldn't I want to read it. And I want some dirt on Phil . . .

That's a few. I've worn myself out though rethinking all those stories and characters. But I think I like doing this with my books I read, at least for my own good.

Anybody have any good reads they would definitely recommend?

2 Comments:

Blogger beegracious said...

Poisonwood Bible--can't remember the author right now. By the end of the book I hated it and loved it all at the same time. I almost put it away about 6 times through it but something always kept me coming back. It's a fictional story about a family who goes to Africa to be missionaries and encounters tremendous obstacles while there. Captivating read.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Poisonwood is Kingsolver but I think you've read it, right?

My new author is Pramoedya Ananta Toer. "The Earth of Mankind" is a sort of John Steinbeck meets Graham Greene. Very Asian and not legal here a few years back but the translation is easy to read. If you liked East of Eden, this is a good choice.

It's the first in the Buru Quartet so if you like it, there are three others you can get.

I'll look at your list again before we go to Singapore in a few months so I'll know what to shop for.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home