Monday, May 23, 2005

Poems I like . . .

Oh I hear there's been another literary invitation sent out! Great! Here are three (0r four)poems I enjoy an have enjoyed for some time.

1.) "God's World," by Edna St. Vincent Millay. Sometimes I like to sit in the wind, listen to trees rustle in the breeze and think of this poem. Here's a quick quote, "O World, I cannot hold thee close enough! Thy winds, thy wide grey skies!" It's great to feel passion every now and then for the world God created.

2.) "Stop All the Clocks . . .," by W.H. Auden. I like the drama of the grief played out in this poem. I dunno why. A quote, "He was my north, my south, my east, my west. My working week, my Sunday rest. My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song . . ." I like to hear a sad little Irish man reciting this poem in my mind.

3.) "Disillusionment of Ten O' Clock," by Wallace Stevens. I remember teaching this poem to lippy high school kids ten years ago and actually having them love it and get it. Stevens was big on using one's imagination. Having young children, so am I. Here's a quote from a Stevens' essay titled, "Imagination as Value, " " . . .imagination is the power that enables us to perceive the normal in the abnormal, the opposite of chaos in chaos. It does this every day in arts and letters." --Wallace Stevens

4.) Finally, a classic and a favorite, read to me nearly every night at bedtime when I was a little girl, "Wynken, Blynken and Nod," by Eugene Field. I can still picture in my head what I thought Wynken Blynken, and Nod looked like in their wooden-shoe fishing boat.

Okay, so maybe these little poems are no "Wasteland-s" or other great epics. (I do like some of those, too.) But these are the ones that came to mind when I think of my favorites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home