Thursday, May 19, 2005

Books I like . . .

So, this is in response to Johnny's book tag thing. Enjoy.

1.) Total # of books owned: combined marital book collection . . .app. 300. (most of Josh's are just weird books like old physics textbooks and stuff like that. Why? I don't know.)

2.) The last book I bought: The Oxford Pocket Russian/English Dictionary (in preparation for our upcoming trip to Ukraine)

3.) Last book I read: either Jane Eyre, by one of them Bronte girls, or Without Reservations: Travels of an Independent Woman, by Alice Steinbach. (I think I was reading them at the same time.)

4.) 5 books that mean a lot to me: (I too will leave the Bible off my list, though I am quite fond of it.)
-Desiring God, by John Piper
-C.S. Lewis Had a Wife, by William J. Petersen
-Traveling Mercies, by Anne LaMott
-Big tie for C.S. Lewis stuff, (Narnia, Surprised by Joy, Screwtape, etc.)
-The Man Who Was Thursday, by G.K. Chesterton

5.) Tag 5 other people and have them respond on their blog. I'm not sure I can tag anyone because I don't know too many other people who read my blog . . .I can name a few more authors I like to read and could tag if they were not dead . . .actually how about if I just name some dead people that I really have enjoyed reading about . . .like Rich Mullins, for example. I love that man. And Keith Green. If I even think about him I want to be a better person. Sting . . .he's not dead but I read his autobiography recently called "Broken Music." It was quite good. I love that man too. Oh yeah, St. Augustine. He's dead and I really enjoyed reading, "The Confessions." Wait, have I brought on some sort of bad luck now or something for not tagging actual live people?

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

I feel the need to defend my book collection. It's not weird its eclectic. :-)

For the record: I recently boxed up all old second hand textbooks dealing with science and have slated them for garage sale. As for the other weird titles, I assume you mean titles like 501 Polish verbs, The World's Greatest Operas, Finnish-English English-Finnish Dictionary, and who can forget The Mysterious Bible Codes. I think 501 Polish verbs may come in handy in that we will be in Poland in about 4 weeks, The World's Greatest Operas is a reference title, collected pre-internet/google, and while The Mysterious Bible Codes is probably a fake it does lead one to think about the possibilites of what secret messages are hidden mathematically in the Old Testament. (probably none, but isn't it fun to ponder..) Also to be entirely fair the weird title are probably only about 30% of my books. The rest are entirely normal, such as Teach Yourself Sanskrit, Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours, and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenience.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

To defend Josh I will quote Dale Gribble from King of the Hill:

"He who hoards will have power! Unreasonable power."

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home